Gifts For REALTORS®: How To Say Thank You After Closing
Ashley Kilroy6-Minute Read
November 11, 2021
If you’re closing on a house, you might be wondering if you should get your real estate agent a gift. After going through so much together, you know your experience with your agent is invaluable. Your agent's expertise has made this process simple and smooth – you couldn’t have done it without them.
That said, how should you say thank you or is it enough to simply give your REALTOR® their commission?
Read on for ideas of what to gift your agent and when.
What Are Closing Gifts For REALTORS®?
Closing gifts are simply a way to thank your REALTORS® for their hard work during the home buying process. While it’s typical for an agent to give their client a gift, it’s not generally expected to give your REALTOR® a gift in return. However, a personalized gesture of gratitude is a great way to show appreciation and will have a lasting impact.
Building A Relationship
Giving gifts helps you to maintain a relationship with your REALTOR® after buying a home. Most people buy or sell several homes in their lifetimes, so it is advantageous to maintain a relationship with your agent.
REALTORS® do a lot of work to advocate for their clients during the home buying process. They help to educate their clients on the housing market, understand their clients’ needs and cater to them, and help them to negotiate the cost of their homes, among other things. The services that a REALTOR® provides are invaluable to their clients, and a small gesture of thanks can go a long way.
What Is An Appropriate Gift For A REALTOR®?
Gift-giving can be tricky for some, especially when trying to determine what an appropriate gift for a REALTOR® would be. Here are a few tips to help you navigate the process:
- Think about what your agent enjoys. You’ve likely spent a lot of time with this person and may have picked up in small talk that they enjoy cooking or want to learn to cook. You could give them a gift certificate to a local cooking class or give them a new cookbook.
- If you know your REALTOR® well enough to know how they spend their free time, you could give them something like tickets to a sports event or a gift card for the local movie theater.
- Use what you know about their personality and interests to think of a great gift idea. For example, if you know that they enjoy taking their clients out for coffee to get to know them, you could give them a local coffee subscription or a gift card to a local coffee shop.
While these gifts are just a few ideas to start with, think about giving them a gift you would like to receive. Depending on how well you know your REALTOR®, you could give them a gourmet gift basket, or simply a nice bottle of wine or a gift card would suffice.
You should also consider how much you want to spend. Typically, the idea of receiving a gift at all is enough to warm an agent’s heart. However, you should also avoid spending too little or having the gift feel like an afterthought. The most important thing is that the gift is thoughtful and appropriate, but as a rule of thumb, $50 – $100 is a good range.
Gifts To Avoid
There are plenty of options for what to give your REALTOR®. But, there are also plenty of things that you should stay away from and know as part of real estate agent gift etiquette.
The first rule of thumb is to avoid giving anything that is too humorous, especially when targeted toward agents. You wouldn’t want the joke to be misunderstood and come across as disingenuous. Examples of this would be a REALTOR® joke book or bobblehead, or a joke nameplate.
Another guideline to follow is to not give a gift that they would want to pick out themselves. For example, most people are particular about the clothing items they choose and wear. You wouldn’t want to give a piece of clothing or jewelry as these items aren’t always well received.
Finally, do not give a gift that is too nice. Examples of this are memorabilia or personalized items. The exception to this rule is if you know that a person is very interested in these items. For example, do not get your agent a customized photo frame unless you know that they wanted one. If you give a gift that they can’t use, it might be thoughtful but isn’t useful to them.
5 Gift Ideas For Your REALTOR®
Everyone is different, including REALTORS®. Try to personalize gifts based on their specific tastes and needs. Here are a few ideas to help you find the perfect gift to thank any kind of agent.
1. Give The Gift Of Gratitude
Every agent will appreciate positive reviews, testimonials, ratings and referrals. This can be both online and in person. However, there’s something deeply personal about receiving a handwritten thank you note. You could take this a step further and give both a thank you note and a gift if you choose to spend the money.
2. Gifts For Their Desk
Your REALTOR® likely spends a lot of time at their desk when they’re not showing clients’ houses and supporting you through the home buying process. While you may never see their desk, you can consider their style to give gifts that inspire them while they’re in the office. Some ideas include:
- A high-quality paperweight or another decorative piece
- A small potted indoor plant set, like succulents or an orchid
- A high-quality pen, such as a fountain pen
- Personalized stationery
- Desktop clock
- High-quality or designer tools like staplers, tape dispensers or a paperweight
3. Gifts For The Commute
Agents spend a lot of their time in cars. They travel from their homes to their offices, to potential homes for their clients and more. You can make their car time more enjoyable with gifts like:
- Phone dock
- Audio AI for the car, such as an Echo Audio
- Driving gloves (if you live in a cold climate)
- Dash camera
- Jump starter
- A standalone GPS
- Business card case
4. Gifts For Tech-Savvy Agents
If you have a tech-savvy REALTOR® or one who would appreciate a technology update, you could consider one of the following gifts:
- Portable battery or phone case with a battery extender
- GPS locator to pair with their phone, such as a Tile
- Nice headphones such as Apple AirPods, or even a headphone case
- Screen cleaners and protectors
- Tools to enhance their camera
- Phone tripod for taking pictures
- Touchscreen gloves
- Laser distance measure
Tablets are popular in real estate, so similar accessories for a tablet might be handy for your REALTOR® as well.
5. Gifts For The Home
You’ve likely spent a lot of time talking homes with your REALTOR®, so you probably know what they like. Here are some interest-based gift ideas:
For An Agent Who Loves The Kitchen
If your REALTOR® loves to get their hands dirty in the kitchen or pretend they are a contestant on “Iron Chef,” you may want to give them something for their kitchen such as:
- A coffee maker such as a Keurig or French press
- Tea and tea accessories
- Fancy spices or a spice rack
- Wine rack
- Cutting board
- Coffee mugs
For The Interior Decorator
Does your REALTOR® have a great eye for design? Perhaps they’re in the process of redoing their own home. Either way, you may want to consider a design or home improvement gift such as:
- A nice flower vase with fresh flowers for a personal touch
- Decorative plant such as a succulent, bonsai or orchid
For Other Clients’ Homes
Even if your REALTOR® isn’t redesigning their home, gifts for their open houses might be the perfect way to say “thank you.” Here are a few ideas:
- Items that can bring any home staging up a level, or would also work well in your agent’s own home
- Wax melter or oil diffuser for a homey scent
- Portable Bluetooth speakers that they can take with them to any showing
- DustBuster or another portable vacuum
- Smart home technology like video doorbells, smart plugs or smart light bulbs
The Bottom Line: A Thoughtful Gift Can Go A Long Way
Giving gifts is one way to thank your REALTOR® and tie a bow on the end of your home buying process. Your agent put in a lot of work behind the scenes. They aided you through one of the most important purchases of your life: your home.
After you buy with an agent, remember to thank them for their time, effort, attention and passion throughout the process.
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3
Do You Need A REALTOR® To Buy A House?
If you’re looking to buy a house, you might be wondering whether it’s necessary to work with a REALTOR® or real estate agent to do so. Learn more here.
Real Estate Broker Vs. Agent Vs. REALTOR®: What’s The Difference?
Finding the best real estate professional to work with can be difficult. Learn the difference between real estate brokers, agents and realtors.