Gifts For Realtors: How To Say Thank You After Closing
Ashley Chorpenning6-Minute Read
November 09, 2020
If you’re closing on a house, you might be wondering if you should get your real estate agent a gift. After going through so much together, you know your experience with your agent is invaluable. Their expertise has made this process simple and smooth, you couldn’t have done it without them.
That said, how should you say thank you or is it enough to simply give your REALTOR® their commission? Read on to learn about what to gift your agent and when.
What Are Closing Gifts?
Closing gifts are simply a way to thank your REALTOR® for their hard work during the home buying process. While it’s typical for an agent to give their client a gift, it’s not generally expected to give your REALTOR® a gift in return. However, a personalized gesture of gratitude is a great way to show appreciation and will have a lasting impact.
Building A Relationship
Giving gifts helps you to maintain a relationship with your REALTOR® after buying a home. Most people buy or sell several homes in their lifetimes, so it is advantageous to maintain a relationship with your agent.
REALTORS® do a lot of work to advocate for their clients during the home buying process. They help to educate their clients on the housing market, understand their clients’ needs and cater to them, and help them to negotiate the cost of their homes, among other things. The services that a REALTOR® provides are invaluable to their clients, and a small gesture of thanks can go a long way.
Tips For Gift-Giving
Gift-giving can be tricky for some. Here are a few tips to help you navigate the process:
- Think about what your agent enjoys. You’ve likely spent a lot of time with this person and may have picked up in small talk that they enjoy cooking or want to learn to cook. You could give them a gift certificate to a local cooking class or give them a set of exotic spices that they can use.
- If you know your REALTOR® well enough to know how they spend their free time, you could give a more personalized gift. For example, if they are a football fan, you could have a jersey customized with their last name.
- Use what you know about their personality and interests to think of a great gift idea. For example, if you know that they enjoy taking their clients out for coffee to get to know them, you could give them a local coffee subscription such as CUPS or a gift card to a local coffee shop.
While these gifts are just a few ideas to start with, think about giving them a gift you would like to receive. Depending on how well you know your realtor, you could give them a more personalized gift, or simply a nice bottle of wine or a gift card would suffice.
You should also consider how much you want to spend. Typically, the idea of receiving a gift at all is enough to warm an agent’s heart. However, you should also avoid spending too little or having the gift feel like an afterthought. The most important thing is that the gift is thoughtful and appropriate, but as a rule of thumb, $50-$100 is a good range.
Gifts To Avoid
There are plenty of options for what to give your REALTOR®. But, there are also plenty of things that you should stay away from.
The first rule of thumb is to avoid giving anything that is too humorous, especially when targeted toward agents. You wouldn’t want the joke to be misunderstood and come across as disingenuous. Examples of this would be a REALTOR® joke book or bobblehead, or a joke nameplate.
Another guideline to follow is to not give a gift that they would want to pick out themselves. For example, most people are particular about the clothing items they choose and wear. You wouldn’t want to give a piece of clothing or jewelry as these items aren’t always well received.
Finally, do not give a gift that is too nice. Examples of this are memorabilia or personalized items. The exception to this rule is if you know that a person is very interested in these items. For example, do not get your agent a customized photo frame unless you know that they wanted one. If you give a gift that they can’t use, it might be thoughtful but isn’t useful to them.
5 Ideas To Inspire Your Perfect Closing Gift
Everyone is different, including REALTORS®. Try to personalize gifts based on their specific tastes and needs. Here are a few ideas to help you find the perfect gift to thank any kind of agent.
1. Give Feedback
Every agent will appreciate positive reviews, testimonials, ratings and referrals. This can be both online and in person. However, there’s something deeply personal about receiving a handwritten thank you note. You could take this a step further and give both a thank you note and a gift if you choose to spend the money.
2. Brighten Their Desk
Your REALTOR®nlikely spends a lot of time at their desk when they’re not showing clients’ houses and supporting you through the home buying process. While you may never see their desk, you can consider their style to give gifts that inspire them while they’re in the office. Some ideas include:
- A high-quality paperweight or other decorative pieces
- A small potted plant set, like succulents or an orchid
- A high-quality pen, such as a fountain pen
- Personalized stationery
- Desktop clock
- High-quality or designer tools like staplers, tape dispensers, or paper clips
3. Consider Their Commute
Agents spend a lot of their time in cars. They travel from their homes to their office, to potential homes for their clients, and more. You can make their car time more enjoyable with gifts like:
- Phone dock
- Audio AI for the car such as an Echo Audio
- Driving gloves if you live in a cold climate
- Dash camera
- Jump starter
- A standalone GPS
4. Keep Their Tech Cutting Edge
If you have a tech-savvy REALTOR® or one who would appreciate a tech update, you could consider one of the following gifts:
- Something to extend or conveniently charge their phone’s battery life such as a portable battery or phone case with a battery extender
- GPS locator to pair with their phone such as a Tile
- Nice headphones such as Air Pods or a case for their headphones
- Screen cleaners and protectors
- Tools to enhance their camera
- Phone tripod for taking pictures
- Touchscreen gloves
Tablets are popular in real estate, so similar accessories for a tablet might be handy for your REALTOR® as well.
5. Think Of Home
You’ve likely spent a lot of time talking homes with your REALTOR®, so you probably know what they like. Here are some interest-based gift ideas:
For an agent who loves the kitchen:
If your REALTOR® loves to get their hands dirty in the kitchen or pretend like they are a contestant on “Iron Chef,” you may want to give them something for their kitchen such as:
- A coffee maker such as a Keurig or French press
- Tea and tea accessories
- Fancy spices or a spice rack
- Wine display or wine rack
For the interior decorator:
Does your REALTOR® have a great eye for design? Perhaps they’re in the process of redoing their own home. Either way, you may want to consider a design gift such as:
- A nice flower vase. Add fresh flowers for a personal touch.
- Decorative plant such as a succulent, bonsai or orchid
For their client’s homes:
Even if your REALTOR® isn’t redesigning their home, gifts for their house might be the perfect way to say “thank you.” Here are a few ideas:
Thanking Your Realtor
Giving gifts is one way to thank your REALTOR® and tie a bow on the end of your home buying process. Your agent put in a lot of work behind the scenes. They aided you through purchasing one of the most important items in your life: your home. Remember to thank them for their time, effort, attention and passion as they walked you through the process.
Table of Contents
Do I Need A Real Estate Agent To Buy A House?
Do you need a real estate agent to buy a house? if you are a first-time home buyer, you might be wondering what role a real estate agent plays in buying a house.